CloudApp Policies - application unavailable

• 4 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +6

This use case is about Generative AI, but I've run into this issue with other categories as well. 

I create a Generative AI block and then I'm adding exceptions as needed by the business. The issue is that I have to create a URL list for those applications that do not show in "CloudApp" options. (ie. Grammarly). 

What I don't understand is why is the app not available? I get that Netskope can't distinguish between activities within the app, but when I look at the Alerts and logs it's clearly categoring the URL to the application. I'm now forced to create a rather large URL list to allow Gram

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

"Cloud App" for Netskope is a very particular definition.

Grammarly and it's associated URLS are listed in the CCI, and can be blocked using SWG without using a URL list.

You seem to be coming across the difference between Netskope product offerings.

Badge +6

CCI only lists grammarly.com as a domain, but I've had to add grammarly.io to the URL list... 

I realize CloudApp only applies to applications that support activity constraints, so how I would I go about creating a policy to allow Grammarly without adding a custom URL list?

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

You can go to the CCI to "Recategorize" and indicate that there are additional URLS.  This way everyone benefits.

Option #1, If you go to Steering Config, you can try to select Grammarly so your CASB can steer it.  I can't replicate the instructions because I have SWG too, but after that you could make  a Realtime policy.

Option #2, what I know will definitely work would be to create Grammarly as a custom application and then real time policy. This second option not get you out of the URL management business however. 

Your statement about "I realize CloudApp only applies to applications that support activity constraints" is inaccurate.  Cloud Apps for CASB can be discovery only.  That is why I hold out home that option #1 will work for you.

Badge +6

Apologize if I'm going in circles, but Grammarly is being steered... All web traffic is being steered to Netskope and Grammarly is not part of any of the exceptions. 

There are many entries in the alerts page for the Grammarly application. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Great, that makes a lot more sense.

Yes, then I would go the route of telling Netskope about the additional URLs...then you don't have to have your own list.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@wilson wrote:

You can go to the CCI to "Recategorize" and indicate that there are additional URLS.  This way everyone benefits.

Would be nice if the CCI had a direct way to report other, non-categorization, based issues beyond just misusing "Recategorize".