Question

Captive Notification and Timeout

• 18 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi

I have questions about Captive  usage

1. Notification - Can it be customized with our own words?  
  2. Timeout 10min -  If failed to pass captive after 10min, the traffic is blocked.   How can I re-enable again captive login?  Do I close and open the browser to have the captive login?  Do I have to reboot?  etc….

Thank

1 reply

Hello Munster,

Here are the answers for your question:

A. The notification snip you attached is when the Netskope client goes in to fail close mode and this template cannot be changed.

What is fail close?
If a Netskope tunnel fails to come up or the user is not provisioned, all the steered traffic from that device will be blocked. All exceptions except category-based ones will continue to be honoured.

We do have an option to customize the template thrown to the users when a block/alert policy is triggered. More details here.

B.The captive portal gets triggered when the client goes in to fail closed mode. The debug logs would print something like this.

2022/03/30 19:56:08.999662 STAgentUI p35e t7403 info clientStatusHandler.cpp:303 clientStatusHandler [sessId 502] Caching client status, event: Tunnel Down, client status: Fail Closed, actor: System, time: 1648695368
2022/03/30 19:56:09.248174 stAgentNE p2f1 t369f info tunnelMgr.cpp:3080 CTunnelMgr detecting Captive Portal in fail close mode

To regain access to the captive portal (in case you missed it during the grace period), we may need to prompt the client to detect the fail-close status once more. This would involve restarting the Netskope client process, which would occur during a system restart.

More details about Fail close can be found here

Regards,
Mohammed Fazil
Sr.Cloud security engineer @ Netskope​​​​​​​