Device List duplicatetion- a warning that you data might not be accurate

• 12 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

He is what I understand:

During the summer, Netskope implemented a change to address a problem when companies merge.   Apparently if two companies merged but two computers had the same hostname (?) they would have duplicate client ids.  

I typically run a report of a month's worth of devices when we upgrade versions.  I run it daily to watch the increase, watch to see version change over time, and to find orphan machines that refused to upgrade their version.

After the change, I immediately noticed about 2X the number of computers I have.  It turns out that in addition to changing the ID, they also changed the download options, where before it had dialog option to choose whether you wanted everyone that has logged into a machine or just the last person, now there is no option.

So now when downloading the list of machines, one to use Excel to deduplicate hostnames.  But it still isn't a good solution, as you don't necessarily get the right last reported date.

So far Netskope's response to this paraphrased "We don't see the problem with the client doing the extra step of deduplicating their data" and to deny changing the dialog box of download device data.

First, I wanted to make people aware of this phenomena as not to have errant data reports.  Second, if your tenant is doing this, I would appreciate you reporting  (if you feel it a problem too) so that Netskope takes it more seriously.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello @wilson,

There was a change made earlier this year to the Devices page that separated out each user and device.   The count of unique devices is still included at the top of the page but does not appear to be included in exports. 

Please direct message me the support case info so I can review it.  There used to an option that allowed you to export individual device or individual user information during the export configuration.   I don't see another filter or option to accomplish this without using a third party program like you mentioned.  We can certainly request that this capability or a filter be added to allow you to select how this data should be presented or exported.  Please reach out to your local Sales Engineer and we can work with our Product Management team to evaluate this. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@sshiflett Thanks for the response.   

This has been captured in ER-2681: "Device Management Export Unique Devices"

I was mildly inconvenienced before until I realized that de-duplication did not leave the most recent entry, thus giving the wrong last contact date and client version. Now it is a real issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello @wilson

Has this been captured in the case you have opened so I can review it?  I will also add this note to the ER as well.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@sshiflett it was the opinion of my TAM that the Enhancement request was the way to go, not a support case.