Question

Filtering and Counting Files by Extension in Netskope

• 19 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a way to create a filter in Netskope that focuses only on the file extension, disregarding the full file name.

Objective:

My goal is to analyze the volume of files with specific extensions that are being used in our environment. For example, I have a list of extensions like .csv, .xls, and .jpg, and I want to understand how many files of each type are being accessed.

Challenge:

In Advanced Analytics, I can only see the complete object name. I'd like to know if it's possible to create a custom field that captures only the file extensions. This would allow me to count and visualize the volume of each file type in a dashboard or report.

Example:

An ideal report would display the volume of files per extension over a specific period. For instance, in the last 7 days, there were 50 .pdf files uploaded, 20 .xls files, and 2 .jpg files.

I hope I have explained my need clearly. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello @matheusf

Netskope detects the file type regardless of extension so you can use the native file type and count those.   This results in something similar to the below for which you could add a filter for those extensions:

After adding a filter for those file extensions:

I get the following results:

If you want to go just go off the object name, we could evaluate using a function to parse the object name but I’d have to look into that further.

Hello @sshiflett,

I need to analyze the volume of files with specific extensions in our Netskope environment. I would like to know if it is possible to create a filter or custom function that captures only the file extension, disregarding the full file name.

The goal is to generate reports that show the number of files per extension, such as .csv, .xls, .jpg, .cab, .bat, among others.

I tried using the native file type option, but it does not offer the granularity needed to distinguish between specific extensions.

Could you please guide me on how to create a filter or function to extract the file extension from the file name? If this is not feasible, I will explore other alternatives, such as exporting the data to Excel.

Thank you in advance for your help!