MIP Labeling Challenges

• 23 June 2023
  • 0 replies

Badge +3

Hello everyone,

My organization currently uses MIP to manually apply labels to Office files. We are looking to start using Netskope API Data Protection to automatically apply labels to files in SharePoint that contain sensitive data but I have a couple challenges I am not sure how to handle. 

1. Microsoft Information Protection by default will not override any manual labels applied or override any label with a higher priority. We would like to keep this capability when using Netskope to apply labels but I cannot find any way to accomplish this. 

2. We would like to build automated workflows to notify users when a file they own has had it's label upgraded because it contains sensitive data. This works great the first time the label is applied but a DLP alert will occur every single time the file is edited even if the file already has the upgraded label.

I think a potential solution to challenge 1 would be to look for the manual label attribute in the files metadata and not trigger if present but I am unable to make that work.

I think a potential solution to challenge 2 would be to look for the label GUID in the file metadata and not trigger if present but I am unable to make that work. 

Curious if anyone has an idea on how to make my solutions work or any other suggestions for solving. 

0 replies

Be the first to reply!