Solved

How to create an app definition for Google Docs

Badge +4

I would like to report on the number of users working with Google Docs (Docs, Spreadsheets, ...) but there is no built-in application definition. Some of the activities are logged as "Google Drive" application but not all them, resulting in visibility gap. 

I would like to know how can I create a dashboard showing Google Docs usage per activity (share, edit, download, upload, ...). I tried creating a custom app definition based on the url docs.google.com but that one is not able to differ certain activities and almost everything is reported as "browsing". 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by sshiflett 11 July 2023, 01:46

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello @juanmamerino ,

I wouldn't necessarily recommend creating a custom app definition.  If you want to understand what users are manipulating or using in Google I'd recommend using the default connector for Google Drive which recognizes all the activities.  The actual path on the URL can help determine the document type such as docs.google.com/spreadsheets/ versus docs.google.com/document/u/0/.  If you have Advanced Analytics you could look at building a dashboard which would display the document type and activity.  Here's a quick example I made which might require some tweaking.  If this is what you're looking for, please let me know and I can export it as a template:

Badge +4

Yes, that would do the job. Specially if I can show different widgets, one per sub-app (Google Docs, Google Forms, Google Spreadsheets, ...) to report on who is using each one of the by activity type. 

Thanks so much!