Netskope Controlled Domains for URL Category Testing

• 19 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11
  • Netskope Employee
  • 8 replies

Hello NS community!

Currently Netskope URL categorization product has 127 categories. Some categories are meant for legitimate traffic such as Financial News, Business, Educations, and some categories are security risk related such as, Security Risk - Botnets, Security Risk - Phishing/Fraud. There are also categories that may not be allowed for work environment such as Gambling, Tobacco or Adult contents.

Each customer can create their own policies to allow or block each URL category. In order to test these policies, customer needs to know the URL samples in each category and then performs the test.

Attached you can see an example of these "hardcoded" categories for all our categories so you can test your policy in real-time. Be cautious as clicking in these URLs will generate logs for the Netskope user accessing them so make sure administrators know these tests are being performed. 

Update (8/14/23): Updated attachment with latest "Generative AI" category. 

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Are there similar policy test/validation URLs for the "normal and legitimate" categories?

(ah.. last line.    "Document with list is attached."     Having it directly available in the post or as a KB article on the support site would be fantastic.   The document served as a test of our block of filesharing sites.)

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Yes! they're attached. i couldn't put in the body due to a limitation in the number of characters. 

Badge +4

To make usage of the list as quick and effortless as a possible, the bookmarks.html file in the attached ZIP contains the Netskope Controlled Domains list, which can be imported into a web browser (instructions: Firefox / Chrome).

The URLs, once imported, will be located in a Netskope Controlled Domains (Category Testing) bookmarks folder.

Edit - attached bookmarks.html as a text file, too, as there are challenges downloading the ZIP (rename extension from .txt to .html once downloaded)

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I'll re-raise, can a KB article for this be drafted up and that bookmark zip maintained as new categories are introduced?  (ie, the upcoming AI category)

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Anyone else having issues trying to download the bookmark zip?

Badge +4

I can reproduce the issue, too. I've edited my initial reply and attached the bookmarks.html file with the extension renamed, which seems to download successfully!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Do all the categories have "hardcoded" test domains using their category_id?   Or is this limited to the "Security Risk" categories?   
Sorry if it's included in the attachment, but the backing file-store is restricted through my tenant.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello - all the supported categories (risky and non-risky) have a corresponding hardcoded URL for testing purposes. We will keep updating this like the newly created Generative AI category which now matches "ns-catid-600-sn.netskopetools.com".