Skip to main content

In case you missed the fourth webinar of our new Inside Netskope series—where Netskope experts show you how we protect our users, applications, and data using our own cloud-based architecture—a recording and recap of our recent session on Using the Netskope Client to Enforce Browser Updates can be found below. Feel free to comment and continue the discussion! 

📽️ Watch on-demand 🍿

Q: What about other browsers such as brave or duckduckgo? Do you guys lay down the law and block those for your org?

A: There's a sizable list of supported browsers. If you hit your real-time policy and select "criteria" > select browers, you can see all the browsers that are currently supported. 

Q: Is this a subscription service?

A: If you are a Netskope customer and utilize SWG with real-time policies, there's no additional fees for this. 

Q: Can you make it any website, not just specific GitHub or something?

A: Yes, we can do this for any website. 

Q: Would it be possible to add enterprise browsers like Island to the list of available browsers?

A: If we do not have the specific browser, you can always inspect the HTTP headers to use this technique with other browsers as well.

Q: Can you provide the HTTP header that you created on the demo? It will help me to reference.. thanks!

A: (.*)(Chrome/125.0.0.0)(.*) and (.*)(Firefox/126.0)(.*)

Q: Can you provide similar release calendars for Ms Edge and Safari, if it exists? 

A: Safari updates coincide with the OS updates. You can view the Microsoft Edge release schedule here.  

Q: I want to allow Safari, Chrome, and Edge but block other browsers. Based on my use case, is it possible to do with the HTTP header?

A: Absolutely! Start a real-time policy, go to web access, and select your criteria. You can then say "Safari, Chrome, and Edge" are allowed. The next policy would say "block all others". 

Q: Do we have to go back every time there is a new version of Chrome and other browsers that are released?

A: Currently, yes. However, we are open to ideas on how to automate this. We will talk to our engineering team, that develops the client, for a feature request that dynamically detects these versions and have policies that we can just implement out of the box. This is something we are working on, but we cannot guarantee the team will take this up. Great idea! 

Q: How can you manage changing the current version?

A: We do this manually. In conjunction with researchers, notifications about the next Zero day, and talking with our IT support team, we make sure we match our policies up. We are definitely looking for ways to automate this in the future!

Q: With Netskope adding a browser update functionality, do you see Netskope taking a bigger role such as adding a full Device Management function in the future?

A: We do not have the roadmap for this, but I don’t foresee Netskope trying to go in this direction in the near future. 

Q: Does Netskope have a plan to support "floating" version criteria (IE Chrome Ver N-1 allow, Chrome Ver N-2 block) where N is the latest published version?

A: We are manually manipulating these policies currently. I don't know of a plan yet, but we will propose this as an idea to the team for future feature requests. 

Some responses above contain roadmap items. These are intended for information purposes only, and may not be incorporated into any contract. It is not a commitment to deliver any material, code, or functionality, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for Netskope’s products remains at the sole discretion of Netskope. 

Be the first to reply!