NPA Periodic Re-authenication: pop-behind causing problems with the user experience

• 5 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

We are reevaluating the NPA Periodic Re-authentication. Previous user experiences were lacking. However, now that we have had support enable the “reauth at log-in/reboot”, things have improved dramatically. 

The primary downside that is keeping us from expanding this for testing is the pop-behind nature of the reauth prompt. Many users think they “are not being prompted” when in fact they are. Is there anything that can be done to force the prompt to either remain at the forefront until addressed or give the prompt a taskbar presence like applications/browsers/alerts do. Users that lock their device at the end of the day (in their given workspace) rather than logging out/shutting down, have no idea the reauth is open behind the of their apps/browsers at the start of the day due to the pop-behind nature of this prompt. 

If there is no current solution, is this on the roadmap to fix? If so, when?

@sshiflett @rsurya 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello @AlfaBane,

I’m not aware of a current functionality in the client to force that window to stay persistent.  However there are enhancements in 113 and 114 to provide more info to users on the NPA tunnel status and reauth timer. 

https://docs.netskope.com/en/netskope-help/netskope-release-notes/netskope-cloud-release-notes/netskope-release-notes-version-113-0-0/new-features-and-enhancements-in-release-113-0-0/

These enhancements will give a clearer indication to the user in the tray icon and Netskope menu that reauthentication is needed to get access.  Please reach out to your local account team and we can provide some additional screenshots and/or even a quick demo of the upcoming enhancements.   

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello @AlfaBane,

I’m not aware of a current functionality in the client to force that window to stay persistent.  However there are enhancements in 113 and 114 to provide more info to users on the NPA tunnel status and reauth timer. 

https://docs.netskope.com/en/netskope-help/netskope-release-notes/netskope-cloud-release-notes/netskope-release-notes-version-113-0-0/new-features-and-enhancements-in-release-113-0-0/

These enhancements will give a clearer indication to the user in the tray icon and Netskope menu that reauthentication is needed to get access.  Please reach out to your local account team and we can provide some additional screenshots and/or even a quick demo of the upcoming enhancements.   

Thank you, Sam! I’ve submitted a feature request for some persistence. 

On a related note, the release notes for 114 are better than I hoped for with regard to the reauth timer. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Now if only the MacOS netskope client could get some of the same love as the Windows one. We are predominately MacOS here. Even just the ability to enable/disable NPA on the MacOS client would be great.